Funnily enough, it was my Mum that taught me about Pinterest. She’s an Interior Decorator and uses Pinterest to search for products as well as to post pictures from creative styling sessions.
When I found out that she had been purchasing products through websites she found on Pinterest, I made an account and started pinning pictures and adding them to my boards…I was amazed at the amount of followers I had received just by repining random pictures.
Pinterest has over $70 million users with women dominating 80% of accounts (Smith, 2014). If businesses are wanting to target the female demographic then Pinterest is an effective social media platform that will achieve this.
Forbes (2014) has published an article aiming to assist businesses in growing their business through Pinterest…..how Pinterest-ing (#pun). These are the top five:
- Follow Others- find users in your field by searching relevant keywords, this is a good way to show that your company cares and is an effective way of building a following of quality users.
- Comment on Popular Pins– participating in two-way conversation is what social media is all about…make your company known in your Pinterest community by asking questions on pictures posted.
- Repin Others- Repinning others content carries more power than a ‘like’, it is shared to your followers and includes a link back to the original source. This is a good way to share content that is relevant to your followers.
- Mention Others- Occasionally mentioning another Pinterest user generates interest and respect within the Pinterest community. Ensure you are ‘shouting out’ those who pin posts relevant to your business.
- Share….A Lot- Posting original, high quality images frequently will get your business notices and will increase your number of followers as a result.
Additionally, linking the companies’ Pinterest with other social media accounts will increase the number of active followers. These are some Pinterest business accounts worth checking out for inspiration:
Forbes. (2014). Grow your business with Pinterest. Retrieved June 28, 2014 from http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnrampton/2014/06/23/grow-your-business-with-pinterest/
Smith, C. (2014). The Numbers: 94 amazing Pinterest statistics. Retrieved June 28, 2014 from http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/pinterest-stats/#.U6_joY2SwVk